- All in One SEO Pack – This is probably one of the most popular WordPress plugins, and for good reason. The SEO pack, as the title suggests, optimizes your website for search engines. It does this by allowing you to add meta titles, descriptions and keywords to all your pages and posts. This can be done automatically or manually. It also helps avoid duplicate content on your site by adding noindex tags for category and archeive pages. For a guide on how to setup your SEO pack, checkout this useful guide.
Note: You can find other SEO plugins like Headspace and Robots Meta, however, you have to be careful with conflicts since they both deal with meta tags.
- Google XML Sitemaps – This handy plugin is another useful resource for improving your search engine rankings. It generates an XML sitemap, which helps search engines work out the structure of your site more efficiently. Additionally, it notifies all major search engines every time you post new content.
- WordPress Database Backup – Lets you backup your database with ease. You can choose to save your backups to disk, to the server or even have it e-mail it to you. The backups can be scheduled whenever you like and you can even choose to exclude specific tables. For convenience you can also setup the plugin to automatically delete older backups so that it doesn’t clutter up your server. In addition to backing up your database it can also optimize and repair it.
- Contact Form 7 – A simple and flexible contact form plugin which enables you to manage multiple contact forms. You can customize each form to include elements such as text fields, radio buttons, file uploads and CAPTCHAs.
- TinyMCE Advanced – Adds functionality to the TinyMCE WYSIWYG editor: “Advanced HR, Advanced Image, Advanced Link, Advanced List, Context Menu, Emotions (Smilies), Date and Time, IESpell, Layer, Embed Media, Nonbreaking, Print, Search and Replace, Style, Table, Visual Characters and XHTML Extras.”
- Simply Exclude – Allows you to exclude/include pages, posts, tags and categories from some of the actions carried out by WordPress. These actions are: is_front (the front page), is_archive (category or tags archive), is_search (search results page) and is_feed (when a feed is viewed/requested). This plugin is great if you want to exclude pages from your in-site search results.